Saturday, April 23, 2016

Goals - Keys to Success

I've had the pleasure to have three interns from the Jane Boyd Community House/Four Oaks PATHS program spend their internship time with the HSDL Program at Kirkwood Community College. The growth of these individuals from the time they start their four or five weeks with me to the day they graduate from the program is phenomenal. I am lucky enough to get invited to their graduations on a regular basis and it's always wonderful to hear the success stories and be a part of them.
Today, at the graduation ceremony, the leaders discussed how participants in the program write a SMART goal on the first day of being a graduate on the last day. The very first goal they write is "I will graduate from the PATHS program on insert date here>>." That's not the only goal they write, but perhaps the most powerful one. This cohort, I had a lady that never finished her high school diploma placed with me for her internship. One day, she asked me if it would be possible for her to finish her high school diploma - and today, she took the final test to get her official Kirkwood Adult High School diploma. She had A LOT of support from me, the other high school completion staff, and her PATHS coordinators to hold her accountable. But she also had a goal - to finish her high school diploma by the time she graduated from the PATHS program - and she met it.
Goals are important to success - and I am so glad that our intern can move on to bigger and better things.

No comments:

Post a Comment